Nobody thinks they’re going to be affected by a house fire until it happens. You’ve heard the saying “prevention is the best medicine” – it’s not just a folksy saying, it’s true. Smoke detectors aren’t just annoying gadgets that pierce your ears when you burn something in the kitchen. Smoke detectors save lives. A lot of fires happen when you’re sleeping. A smoke detector will alert you before things get out of hand allowing you to get out, or sometimes even put out a small fire. As your Omaha electrician experts, we want you to be safe above all else.
Seven Signs that You Need to Invest in Smoke Detectors
- You Live in an Old Home – Older homes are more prone to electrical issues because they weren’t built with today’s safety-conscious building codes. Working smoke detectors are even more important in older homes.
- You’re Using Older Appliances – Old appliances wear out and malfunction over time. They’re more prone to fires, making properly installed and working smoke detectors a must.
- You’re a DIYer – Doing things yourself is a great way to save money, and it’s fun. But even the most seasoned DIYers make mistakes. Smoke detectors help ensure your mistakes don’t result in a disaster.
- You’re Not Informed About the Different types of Smoke detectors – Photoelectric detectors are more sensitive to smoldering flames. Ionization alarms are responsive to flaming fires. You should have both types installed for maximum protection.
- You Can’t Remember the Last Time You Changed Your Batteries – Replace your batteries at least once per month. If you can’t remember the last time you replaced them, then they’re due.
- Your Detector Failed the Test – You should be testing your smoke alarms once per month for reliability. Even with new batteries detectors that don’t pass the recommended maintenance test should be replaced.
- Your Smoke Detector Keeps Chirping – If you’ve replaced the batteries and your detector keeps chirping it’s probably time to replace it. FEMA’s U.S. Fire Administration recommends replacing smoke detectors every 8-10 years.
Your Omaha Electric Company
The safety of your family and your home is everything. Don’t let something as easy smoke detector maintenance put either one in jeopardy. If you have questions about your home’s electrical integrity or need help upgrading give us a call and we’ll help you out. Until next time – keep it safe!
Omaha: 402-731-1220 Lincoln: 402-464-4333